NBA.com news services
Posted Jan 15, 2014 6:12 PM - Updated Jan 15, 2014 7:07 PM
• Miami Heat president Pat Riley spoke to the media for the first time this season following the three-way trade that sent C Joel Anthony to Boston. G Toney Douglas comes from Golden State to Miami. "This is very, very, very, very, very, very hard to do. He's part of the family," Riley said. "He helped us win two championships."
• Riley said that the Heat doesn't have any plans to pursue free agent C Andrew Bynum. "All it is is speculation. That's all it is," Riley said. "There's nothing happening at all with that situation."
• Greg Oden is active for the first time all season. "He's in uniform tonight," Riley said. "He's been working very hard, and we'll see what happens. He's really progressed. Somewhere we have to find out."
• Coach Erik Spoelstra said that F-C Chris Andersen (left knee) and G Mario Chalmers (right achilles strain) would not play. It will be the fourth straight game Chalmers has missed.
• LeBron James said he was sad to see Anthony go. "It's always tough in this game as a professional--especially with a close-knit group like we have go," James said.
• Gordon Hayward (left hip flexor) has missed the last two games for the Jazz (13-26), and it doesn't look good for him to play tonight. "Still questionable," coach Tyrone Corbin said. "He's going to try to warmup, but I don't think he'll go."
• Ginobili made his first start of the season because Danny Green missed his first game with a broken index finger in his left (non-shooting) hand. Ginobili was coming off a two-game break because of tightness in his left hamstring. "He felt good," coach Gregg Popovich said. "No problems."
• Sixers coach Brett Brown downplayed an ESPN.com report stating that Nerlens Noel could return to basketball-related activities shortly after the All-Star break next month. "There's a collection of people who will be involved in the decision," Brown said. "There are some things that have been lifted in relation to being only to shoot one-handed with him. But there are so many different layers to this. To get all excited now about a timeline put out would not be a wise thing to do. He's got to tick a lot more boxes. He's progressing well. But there really is not a definitive timeline." Noel suffered a torn ACL last February while playing for the University of Kentucky and the No. 6 overall pick was acquired by the Sixers in a draft-night trade in June.
• On Tuesday, the Sixers signed center Dewayne Dedmon to a 10-day contract. Dedmon wasn't selected in the 2013 NBA Draft and was playing in the NBA Development League. Dedmon is active and could potentially play against the Bobcats.
• The Sixers will be without forward Lavoy Allen for a third straight game because of a right calf injury.
• Bobcats center Al Jefferson continues to start despite dealing with a sore ankle. Jefferson scored 35 points on 14-for-20 shooting in the Bobcats' 108-98 win over the New York Knicks on Tuesday. "I don't think he'll get to 100 percent this season, but I think he'll get stronger," Bobcats coach Steve Clifford said.
• Center Nik Vucevic will miss his fifth straight game for the Magic. "He's still in the NBA concussion protocol and so he has not been cleared yet," said coach Jacque Vaughn. The Magic are 0-10 without Vucevic this season.
• Arron Afflalo, Orlando's leading scorer, will miss a third straight game with a strained right foot.
• Although he has been sick, forward Carlos Boozer will "give it a go" for the Bulls, in the words of coach Tom Thibodeau.
• Chicago has won eight of 11 since a four-game losing streak that included an 83-82 loss to the Magic on Dec. 16. "For the most part, it's just getting guys back (from injuries) and they're getting used to playing with each other," Thibodeaux said
|Caldwell Jones Dies At 64 |
The NBA TV family mourns the loss of former NBA player Caldwell Jones who died at the age of 64. He played three ABA seasons and then 14 in the NBA with the 76ers, Rockets, Bulls, Trail Blazers and Spurs.
|Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown 2014: San Fran Runner-Up|
Check out the 2nd place winner in San Fran's 2014 Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown competition.
|Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown 2014: Sacramento Runner-Up|
Check out the 2nd place winner in Sacramento's 2014 Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown competition.
|Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown 2014: Philly Runner-Up|
Check out the 2nd place winner in Philly's 2014 Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown competition.
|Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown 2014: L.A. Runner-Up|
Check out the 2nd place winner in L.A.'s 2014 Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown competition.