NBA.com news services
Posted Dec 9, 2013 7:19 PM
• Sixers PG Michael Carter-Williams, discharged from the Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania on Sunday after spending three nights there while undergoing treatment for the skin infection on the front of his right knee, will miss his third straight game. Sixers coach Brett Brown said Carter-Williams remains "day to day." Tony Wroten will again start in his place.
• Clippers coach Doc Rivers said his team is "close" to a deal with free agent guard/forward Stephen Jackson, who last played in the NBA for San Antonio last season. "It's not done yet," Rivers said. "Nothing's done in our league until it's done, as you know. I just think he's a veteran. We need him in a pinch, and we need him, like, now. That's a guy you can bring in, and hopefully he can give you something right away." The Clippers are thin on the perimeter, with J.J. Redick (broken hand), Matt Barnes (retinal tear, left eye) and Reggie Bullock (ankle sprain) all out.
• ESPN reported Sunday that the Sixers could offer veteran forward Thaddeus Young to Houston in exchange for center Omer Asik. "I think it would be very hard (to leave), seeing as this has been the only place I've been in my career," said Young, who is in his seventh season, "and this is the only place that I know. ... It would definitely be something to adjust to. That's what this is all about -- taking on those challenges and just playing, no matter what."
• The battle of the shorthanded rosters takes place in Washington as the Wizards host the Denver Nuggets. Wizards coach Randy Wittman announced starting forwards Martell Webster (sprained left ankle) and Nene (right foot tendinitis) would sit on Monday's matchup. Webster injured his ankle at the end of the first quarter in Friday's loss to Milwaukee. Following the Nuggets matchup, Washington is off until Friday. "He still has some soreness," Wittman said of Webster. "You got to be comfortable playing, that's the main thing. A lot of good things aren't probably going to happen if you go out there. ...We'll see where he is on Friday."
• The Nuggets, already without JaVale McGee and Danilo Gallinari, will play a second straight game without point guard and D.C. area native Ty Lawson (hamstring). Andre Miller replaces Lawson, who leads the Nuggets in scoring and assists, in the starting lineup.
• However, the Bobcats enter tonight's game severly hobbled at the forward positions, with two key reserves injured and not able to play. Charlotte head coach Steve Clifford said during his pregame interview that both Jeffery Taylor (heel) and Bismack Biyombo (ankle) were out, but that team officials would have a "better feel" for the extent of their injuries later in the week. That comes on the heels of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist being down 4-6 weeks with a broken left hand. That moves Anthony Tolliver into the starting small forward spot for tonight's game.
• Charlotte is almost like a home court for Curry, who starred at nearby Davidson and is the son of former Charlotte Hornets star (and current Bobcats TV analyst) Dell Curry. Every time the Warriors play at Time Warner Cable Arena, dozens of Curry fans don Davidson Wildcats apparel and attend the games.
• The Warriors have had their own injury problems this season. Guard Toney Douglas is day-to-day while dealing with a stress reaction in his left tibia, and three players -- center Festus Ezeli (recovering from right knee surgery), forward/guard Andre Iguodala (left hamstring strain) and center Ognjen Kuzmic (fractured right hand) -- are all out.
|Off the Radar Performance: Isaiah Canaan|
Isaiah Canaan scores 15 points and dishes out six assists in Monday's loss to Sacramento.
|The Starters: Best of Summer League|
Check out the best moments from The Starters in the Vegas Summer League.
|The Starters: Ray McCallum Interview|
Ray McCallum joins the guys for a staring contest, cup stacking and, of course, basketball conversation.
|Player of the Day: Ray McCallum|
Sacramento's come-from-behind victory was led by a 29-point effort from Ray McCallum, the title game's MVP.
|The Starters: Vegas Top 10|
The Starters relive their top ten plays from the 2014 Las Vegas Summer League.