Posted Jul 19, 2013 12:52 AM
LAS VEGAS -- The NBA Board of Governors approved five rules changes for the upcoming 2013-14 season, the league announced Thursday.
Instant replay may now be used:
• When reviewing a block/charge play to determine whether the defender was inside or outside the restricted area, officials will now be permitted to reverse a charge call, or uphold a blocking call, when the defender was outside the restricted area but was not set when the offensive player began his upward shooting motion.
• To determine whether an off-ball foul occurred before or after a player has started his shooting motion on a successful shot attempt, or before or after the ball was released on a throw-in.
• During the review of any instant replay situation to permit the officials to assess the appropriate penalties of any unsportsmanlike and unnecessary acts (e.g. flagrant fouls) that are observed during the instant replay reviews.
Additional rules modifications:
• On clear path to the basket fouls, it will no longer be considered a clear path foul if at any point before the foul is committed, the defender who commits the foul is positioned ahead of the offensive player in the frontcourt.
• A team on offense will lose possession if its player leaves the floor and does not immediately return to the floor, unless he is injured, attempting to save the ball or in other extenuating circumstances.
Each of these rules was recommended by the NBA's Competition Committee at its meeting on June 12.
|Sekou Smith on the Central Division|
Sekou Smith talks about the new competitive balance in the Central Division.
|Rose Answers Questions|
Derrick Rose answers questions from reporters following a USA Basketball practice.
|Michele Roberts Interview|
The new NBPA Executive Director, Michele Roberts, joins GameTime to talk about her new role.
|Looking Back at Alonzo Mourning Promo|
Get a preview of the NBA TV special, "Looking Back at Alonzo Mourning."
|USA Basketball Camp Report|
Matt Winer and Steve Smith report from Las Vegas on the USA Basketball team.