Skip to main content
Main content
NBA news

Burkle drops out of Sacramento's bid to keep Kings


Posted Apr 8, 2013 10:41 PM

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- Billionaire Ron Burkle will not be part of Sacramento's bid to keep the Kings after all.

Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said Monday that a conflict of interest forced Burkle to back out. Instead, Johnson said the Southern California businessman and co-owner of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins will focus on the development around a proposed new downtown arena - and not the arena itself.

Burkle is part-owner of Relativity Sports, which manages some NBA players' careers. Johnson said the conflict surfaced during a meeting with NBA Commissioner David Stern and league owners in New York last week and "it won't slow us up."

Burkle had been expected to lead the development of a Sacramento arena. He also planned to join other wealthy investors trying to block a bid from a group that is hoping to buy and move the Kings to Seattle next season.

SEARCH NEWS
LATEST VIDEOS
photoGameTime: Sky vs. Fever Game 1 Analysis
Vince Cellini, Dennis Scott, and Swin Cash analyze the Fever's Game 1 win over the Sky in the WNBA Eastern Conference Finals.
photoPostgame: Derrick Rose
Team USA's Derrick Rose speaks with the media after beating Finland.
photoPostgame: Anthony Davis
Team USA's Anthony Davis speaks with the media after beating Finland.
photoThrough The Lens: USA vs. Finland
Take a look at Team USA's dominant win over Finland through the lens of the slow-motion phantom cam.
photoPostgame: Stephen Curry
Team USA's Stephen Curry speaks with the media after beating Finland.