Posted Jan 2, 2013 7:52 PM
NEW YORK -- The Washington Wizards' Bradley Beal and the Portland Trail Blazers' Damian Lillard today were named the Kia NBA Eastern and Western Conference Rookies of the Month, respectively, for games played in December.
Beal lead all Eastern Conference rookies in scoring (13.4 ppg) and total assists with (41) in December. He had six games with 15-plus points during the month and made a career-high eight field goals in a 100-95 loss to the Atlanta Hawks on Dec.18.
Lillard led all rookies in scoring (18.4 ppg), assists (6.3 apg) and is tied for third among NBA point guards with 16 games of 20-plus points. On Dec.13 against the San Antonio Spurs he became one of just 12 NBA players to record at least 29 points, seven rebounds and six assists in a game this season.
Here is a recap of the month for Beal and Lillard:
Bradley Beal, Washington Wizards
• Dec. 11 @ New Orleans: Posted 15 points, seven rebounds and four assists in a 77-70 victory over the Hornets.
• Dec. 12 @ Houston: Recorded 20 points, four rebounds, five assists and two steals in a 99-93 loss to the Rockets.
• Dec. 15 @ Miami: Tallied 19 points and three rebounds in a 102-72 loss to the Heat.
• Dec. 18 @ Atlanta: Had 17 points, five rebounds, four assists and two steals in a 100-95 loss to the Hawks.
Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers
• Dec. 1 @ Cleveland: Scored 24 points, established a career-high with 11 assists and added six rebounds in a 118-117 (2OT) win over the Cavaliers.
• Dec. 13 vs. San Antonio: Had a career-high 29 points, seven rebounds and six assists in a 98-90 win over the Spurs.
• Dec. 22 vs. Phoenix: Posted 25 points and seven assists in a 96-93 victory over the Suns.
• Dec. 26 vs. Sacramento: Tallied 17 points, set a career-high in rebounds (eight) and tied a career-high with 11 assists in a 109-91 win against the Kings.
Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Rookies of the Month were Charlotte's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Cleveland's Tyler Zeller, Detroit's Andre Drummond, and New Orleans' Anthony Davis.
Kia NBA Eastern and Western Conference Rookies of the Month
For the first time, the Kia NBA Eastern and Western Conference Rookies of the Month are part of a series of on-court performance awards called "The Kia NBA Performance Awards." The series, currently in its sixth season, is part of a multiyear marketing partnership between Kia Motors America and the NBA, and includes five of the league's most prestigious year-end honors: Most Valuable Player Award, Defensive Player of the Year, Sixth Man Award, Most Improved Player Award, and Rookie of the Year. It also includes the Kia NBA Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Month during the regular season. Kia Motors is the Official Automotive Partner of the NBA and the Kia Optima is the league's Official Vehicle. For more information on the "The Kia NBA Performance Awards" visit www.NBA.com/awards.
|Stephen Curry: Top 10 Assists of the Season|
Check out the top 10 assists of the season from the Warriors' Stephen Curry.
|Chris Paul: Top 10 Assists of the Season|
Check out the top 10 assists of the season from the Clippers' Chris Paul.
|Daily Zap: April 20|
Zip through Sunday's playoff games in the Daily Zap.
|Top 10: April 20|
Count down the top ten plays from Sunday night's playoff games.
|Damian Lillard Highlights|
Damian Lillard scores 31 points hitting 9 of his 19 shots, knocking down 3 triples and grabs 9 rebounds with 5 assists to help Portland top Houston in overtime.