By Official release
Posted Jun 21 2012 9:50AM
NBA TV tonight announced the winners of the first-ever NBA Social Media Awards -- a one-hour telecast celebrating NBA players, teams and fans for their social engagement during the 2011-12 NBA season -- including Jeremy Lin receiving the Epic Award, Blake Griffin given the Got Game Award and Kobe Bryant who took home two awards: #Trendsetter and The Thumbs Up Award.
The NBA Social Media Awards, recognizing some of the best moments which resonated with fans and sparked the most social engagement this season, were hosted by Rick Fox (@RickaFox) and TNT and NBA TV analyst Shaquille O'Neal (@SHAQ) with SLAM magazine's Lang Whitaker (@langwhitaker) and contributions from The Basketball Jones' JE Skeets (@jeskeets) and Tas Melas (@tasmelas).
The awards were divided into various categories and accounted for social activity across Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and more. Fans determined the winners for several categories via voting across nba.com/sma, Facebook, Twitter and mobile. Highlights from the NBA Social Media Awards are available at www.nba.com.
• The Epic Award - favorite game during the regular season, as voted by fans.
- Linsanity Begins (Feb. 12, 2012: Lakers vs. Knicks: Lin scores 38 points to outduel Kobe Bryant)
• The Got Game Award -- the fan-favorite team/play during the regular season.
- "Blake Goes Big" (@BlakeGriffin)
• The Social Slam Award -- the fan-favorite dunk during the regular season.
- Gerald Green "Go Get It"
• The Social MVT (Most Valuable Team) -- the team who had the largest social media footprint during the regular season.
- Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers)
• The Fan Nation Award -- the team with the highest percentage of increased exposure across all platforms including all players on the respective teams.
- Los Angeles Clippers (@LAClippers)
• The FTW (For The Win) Award -- the team/player who had the most shared/liked buzzer-beater during the regular season.
- Kevin Durant's game winner against the Dallas Mavericks (December 29, 2012)
• The BIG (Best in Game) Award -- the player who best utilized social media in a creative way across multiple platforms.
- Jared Dudley (@JaredDudley619)
• The #TrendSetter Award -- the player who received the most mentions this season via Twitter.
- Kobe Bryant
• The Thumbs-Up Award -- the player who had the most likes or whose Facebook posts received the most likes.
- Kobe Bryant
• The Triple Threat Award -- the former player turned analyst who is the best person to follow via social media.
- Shaquille O'Neal (@Shaq)
• The Social Breakout Award -- the player seeing the biggest increase in popularity with fans across Twitter and Facebook this season.
- Jeremy Lin (presented prior to the show)
• The Snap Shot Award -- the player who posted the best picture of the year.
- Landry Fields -- Couch Made Famous (@landryfields)
• The LOL Award -- the team/players who had the most shared/liked blooper video during the regular season.
- JaVale McGee (@JavaleMcGee34)
|Inside Stuff: Hoops for St. Judes |
St. Judes Hospital teams up with NBA Cares to raise funds and awareness about it's life saving mission.
|Inside Stuff: Rewind|
Take a look at the week's best moment around the league in this edition of Rewind.
|Inside Stuff: Jam Session|
Krewella lays down the soundtrack for this week's Jam Session with their single "Enjoy the Ride."
|Extra Stuff: Paul on his Foundation|
Chris Paul talks about his work off the court with the community through his foundation and the CP3 Afterschool Zone.
|Extra Stuff: Paul on Jordan|
Chris Paul talks about DeAndre Jordan's growth and impact on the Clippers.