By Official release
Posted Jan 19 2012 1:17PM
NEW YORK -- NBA TV will present the third season of The Association, as the show focuses on one of only three NBA teams to have made the playoffs for the past eight seasons -- the Denver Nuggets -- beginning Wednesday, January 25.
Produced by NBA Entertainment (NBAE), The Association: Denver Nuggets will continue to deliver the riveting, behind-the-scenes coverage that has become a trademark of the series, providing access to the players and coaches in the locker room, on road trips and off the court. The series also continues its signature style, incorporating Denver as a character with special features that reveal the city and its fans in a new light. During previous seasons of The Association, the series spotlighted the Los Angeles Lakers and the Boston Celtics.
Led by Head Coach George Karl, a basketball purist and one of the most charismatic personalities in the NBA, the Nuggets see themselves not as rebuilding -- but "reinventing" the team this season. After dealing Carmelo Anthony at the trade deadline last year, the team features a cast of characters determined to make their own mark. In this new season, Karl and his overlooked underdogs will attempt to show that strong team play and roster depth is the ticket to success in the NBA.
In Episode 1, Karl and Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Masai Ujiri are seen working around the clock as they assemble a team that opened training camp with only seven players signed to the roster. As the quickly-assembled Nuggets try to come together as a team, they face back-to-back-to-back games. Viewers go behind the scenes during this early-season run and the show concludes as the Nuggets face another test -- the star-studded defending Eastern Conference Champion Miami Heat.
Over the course of the series, storylines will include - but are not limited to - the following:
• George Karl: A basketball lifer with more than 1,000 NBA wins to his credit, Karl continues to follow his passion and chase his elusive first NBA championship, even as he battles health issues after being diagnosed with throat cancer in 2010.
• Masai Ujiri: The first African-born NBA general manager, Ujiri began his tenure with the Nuggets last season. After handling the departure of Carmelo Anthony situation with patience and skill, this season he continues to put his stamp on the organization.
• Nene: The Brazilian big man was on the free agent market, but decided to stay on the only team for which he's played. Viewers will learn why the Nuggets fought so hard to keep him and how he's fought hard to stay on the court, including a battle with cancer earlier in his career.
• Ty Lawson: After two seasons as an apprentice, Lawson has been handed the keys to the offense. Playing for Karl, a fellow University of North Carolina Tar Heel, Lawson uses his quickness and smarts to energize his team. And after playing in Lithuania during the off-season, he has a new appreciation for life in the NBA.
• Danilo Gallinari: Just a few years ago, Gallinari was a highly-touted lottery pick of the New York Knicks. Now, he starts over in Denver and looks to prove why the Knicks should not have given up on him so soon.
Schedule of Upcoming Episodes of The Association: Denver Nuggets
Episode 1 Wednesday, January 25 6 p.m. ET
Episode 2 Wednesday, February 15 6:30 p.m. ET
Episode 3 Wednesday, March 7 6:30 p.m. ET
Episode 4 Wednesday, March 21 6:30 p.m. ET
Episode 5 Wednesday, April 11 6:30 p.m. ET
Episode 6 Wednesday, April 25 6:30 p.m. ET
|Playoffs Mini-Movie East Semis|
An all-access look at the conclusion of the Miami -- Chicago series and the ongoing battle between New York and Indiana.
|Playoffs Mini-Movie: West Semis|
An all-access look at how Memphis and San Antonio emerged from the Western Conference semifinals.
|Bulls vs. Heat Series Recap|
The Miami Heat overcame a Game 1 loss to take the Eastern Conference semifinal series over the Chicago Bulls.
|Game Time: Sacramento Kings|
The Game Time crew on the Kings staying in Sacramento.
|Game Time: Knicks vs. Pacers Preview|
The Game Time crew previews Saturday's Knicks vs. Pacers clash.