By Official release
Posted Oct 21 2010 3:21PM
NEW YORK, Oct. 21, 2010 -- The NBA Board of Governors unanimously approved several modifications to the instant replay rules that will go into effect for the upcoming 2010-11 season, the league announced today. Instant replay may now be used:
• During the last two minutes of regulation and the entire duration of any overtime period, to determine whether the ball touched the rim and thus whether the shot clock should be adjusted.
• During the last two minutes of regulation play and the entire duration of any overtime period, to determine which of two players on opposing teams caused the ball to become out-of-bounds. This modification expanded the previous rule to include the entirety of an overtime period instead of just the last two minutes of an overtime period.
• During a replay review of an out-of-bounds call, to determine when the ball is out of bounds for purposes of adjusting the game clock and shot clock.
• At any point during the game, to determine which player should attempt free throws after a foul occurred.
• At any point during a game, to determine whether a foul that was called a clear-path-to-the-basket foul met all the criteria of a clear-path-to-the basket foul.
The NBA first instituted instant replay prior to the 2002-03 season to review last second shots and fouls at the end of each period. Through the league's instant replay committee, the NBA has carefully reviewed its procedures following each season and made adjustments or additions to replay as deemed necessary. With this year's modifications, the league now uses 11 different triggers for instant replay review. A complete summary of allowable instant replay use in NBA games can be found on NBA Media Central.
|Free Agent Fever: Butler|
Steve Aschburner from NBA.com stops by to discuss the Bulls' offer to Jimmy Butler and Mike Dunleavy's new three deal.
|Free Agent Fever: The Starters|
The Starters crew talk about their biggest free agent surprises. Check out the Starters show on NBA TV at 6:30 pm/ET.
|Free Agent Fever: Skolnick|
Bleacher Report's Ethan Skolnick joins GameTime to discuss Goran Dragic's deal and Dwyane Wade's return to the Heat.
|Kevin Loves Cleveland|
Kevin Love states 'unfinished business' in Cleveland and will return to play for the Cavaliers for the next five years.
|Free Agent Fever: Sekou, Lang Hawks Segment|
Sekou Smith and Lang Whitaker discuss the Atlanta Hawks during Wednesday's Free Agent Fever show.