By Official Release
Posted Apr 16 2010 8:34PM
NEW YORK -- The Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose and the Oklahoma City Thunder's Kevin Durant on Friday were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Month presented by Kia Motors, respectively, for games played during April.
Rose was second in the Eastern Conference in scoring (25.4 ppg) and added 7.0 assists and 4.1 rebounds, leading the Bulls to a 6-2 record. On April 13, Rose recorded career highs in points (39) and blocks (three), to go along with seven assists and five rebounds, in a 101-93 win over Boston. Rose led the Bulls in scoring six times, including seven games of 20 or more, and averaged 30.6 points in Chicago's final three games, all must wins for a playoff berth. On April 8, Rose tallied 24 points and 10 assists in Chicago's 109-108 win over Cleveland.
Durant led the league in scoring (34.6 ppg) and added 7.9 rebounds, 3.4 assists 2.0 steals and 1.6 blocks. On April 3, Durant recorded 23 points, five assists, five rebounds and five steals, leading Oklahoma City to a win at Dallas and the team's first playoff berth since 2005. Durant followed up that performance with 40 points, nine rebounds, two assists, two blocks and a steal in a win over Minnesota the following night. Durant, who became the youngest player ever to lead the NBA in scoring (30.1 ppg), had a streak of seven consecutive 30-point games to end the season.
Here is a closer look at the month for Rose and Durant:
Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
• April 3 vs. Charlotte: Totaled 26 points, five assists, four rebounds and one block in a 96-88 win over the Bobcats.
• April 8 vs. Cleveland: Scored 24 points, and added 10 assists, three rebounds and one steal in a 109-108 win over the Cavaliers.
• April 11 @ Toronto: Recorded 26 points, seven assists, four rebounds, one block and one steal in a 104-88 win over the Raptors.
• April 13 vs. Boston: Posted 39 points, seven assists, five rebounds and three blocks in a 101-93 win over the Celtics.
• April 14 @ Charlotte: Tallied 25 points, five assists, two rebounds, two steals and one block in a 98-88 win over the Bobcats.
Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
• April 3 @ Dallas: Recorded 23 points, five rebounds, five assists, five steals and one block in a 121-116 win over the Mavericks.
• April 4 vs. Minnesota: Posted 40 points, nine rebounds, two assists, two blocks and one steal in a 116-108 win over the Timberwolves.
• April 6 @ Utah: Poured in 45 points, to go along with seven rebounds, four assists, two blocks and two steals in a 140-139 loss to the Jazz.
• April 9 vs. Phoenix: Posted 35 points, nine rebounds, three steals and two blocks in a 96-91 win over the Suns.
• April 11 @ Golden State: Totaled 40 points, 10 rebounds, five assists, two blocks and two steals in a 120-117 loss to the Warriors.
Other nominees for Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Month presented by Kia Motors were Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, Indiana's Danny Granger and Orlando's Dwight Howard.
The Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Month presented by Kia Motors are part of a series of on-court performance awards called "The NBA Performance Awards Presented by Kia Motors." The series, currently in its third season, is part of a multiyear marketing partnership between Kia Motors America and the NBA, and includes four of the league's most prestigious year-end honors: Most Valuable Player Award, Defensive Player of the Year, Sixth Man Award, and Most Improved Player. Kia Motors is the Official Automotive Partner of the NBA and the all-new Sorento is the league's Official Vehicle. For more information on the "The NBA Performance Awards Presented by Kia Motors" visit www.NBA.com/performanceawards.
|The NBA Family Remembers Nelson Mandela|
Alonzo Mourning has this personal remembrance of Nelson Mandela, his special connection to the NBA, and his enduring legacy.
|2013 Christmas Day Preview|
Bob Ryan gives an assist to Santa by delivering a preview of all five Christmas day games.
|Spurs vs. Warriors|
Marco Belinelli records a career-high 28 points despite 30-point games from David Lee and Stephen Curry to lead the Spurs over the Warriors.
|Stephen Curry's Night|
Stephen Curry records 30 points and 15 assists in a tough loss to the Spurs.
|David Lee's Night|
David Lee records 32 points and 13 rebounds in a tough loss to the Spurs.