By Official Release
Posted Mar 1 2010 3:09PM
NEW YORK, Mar. 1, 2010 -- The Detroit Pistons' Jonas Jerebko and New Orleans Hornets' Darren Collison today were named the Eastern and Western Conference T-Mobile Rookies of the Month, respectively, for games played in February.
Jerebko ranks first among Eastern Conference rookies in field goal percentage (.564) and second in scoring, (10.2 ppg) rebounds, (6.0 rpg) steals (1.0 spg) and blocks (0.54). On Feb. 16, Jerebko scored a team-high 21 points in 21 minutes, in a 108-85 win over Minnesota.
Among all rookies, Collison ranked first in scoring (21.6 ppg), assists (8.3 apg), steals (1.8 spg) and minutes (41.7 mpg) in February. He also finished his first month as an NBA starter by scoring 35 points in the Hornets' 108-100 loss at Dallas. Only one other rookie in the last 25 years had scoring and assist averages that high in the same month with a minimum of three games played: Allen Iverson (April 1997 -- 33.6 ppg, 8.7 apg).
Here is a recap of the month for both Jerebko and Collison:
Jonas Jerebko, Detroit Pistons
• Feb. 6 vs New Jersey: Registered 20 points, seven rebounds and shot 9-9 field goals in a 99-92 win over the Nets.
• Feb. 10 vs Sacramento: Scored 11 points and grabbed seven rebounds in a 88-95 loss to the Kings.
• Feb. 16 vs. Minnesota: Notched 21 points and two rebounds in a 108-85 win over the Timberwolves.
• Feb. 17 @ Orlando: Posted 13 points, three rebounds and two steals in a 91-116 loss to the Magic.
Darren Collison, New Orleans Hornets
• Feb. 10 vs. Boston: Scored 25 points and dished nine assists to go with four steals and three rebounds in a 93-85 win over the Celtics.
• Feb. 19 vs. Indiana: Finished with 18 points and a career-high 13 rebounds, adding 12 assists and three steals in a 107-101 victory over the Pacers.
• Feb. 21 vs. Houston: Posted 26 points, nine rebounds, four assists and four steals in a 102-94 win over the Rockets.
• Feb. 28 @ Dallas: Recorded a career-high 35 points to go with three rebounds and three assists in 100-108 loss to the Mavericks.
Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference T-Mobile Rookies of the Month were Golden State's Stephen Curry, Milwaukee's Brandon Jennings, Minnesota's Jonny Flynn, New Orleans' Marcus Thornton and Sacramento's Tyreke Evans.
# # #
Building upon its already strong appeal to the nation's youth and as Official Partner of the NBA, T-Mobile is showcasing the NBA's youngest players -- the Rookies -- through the T-Mobile Rookie Program. Highlights include rookie awards presentations such as the T-Mobile Rookies of the Month and T-Mobile Rookie of the Year, and the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam, an All-Star competition between NBA rookies and second-year players. During NBA All-Star 2010, T-Mobile and the NBA hosted more than 3,500 students from the Dallas Independent School District to watch the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam from the best seats in the house at American Airlines Center on Friday, February 12.
|USA Basketball vs. Puerto Rico|
Stephen Curry scores 20 points and dishes out four assists as Team USA beats Puerto Rico 112-86 in their MSG finale.
|Through the Lens: Puerto Rico vs. Team USA|
Take a super slow-motion look at Team USA's victory over Puerto Rico in Madison Square Garden.
|Top 5: USA Basketball vs. Puerto Rico|
Check out the top five plays from Friday's USA vs. Puerto Rico game.
|GameTime: USA Basketball Final Roster|
USA Basketball announces the 12 man roster for the upcoming World Cup in Spain.
|GameTime: Love Trade Update|
NBA TV discusses the current status of the Kevin Love trade to the Cavaliers and what he will bring to Cleveland if the deal goes through.