By Official Release
Posted Nov 2 2009 4:34PM
NEW YORK, Nov. 2, 2009 -- The Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard and the Denver Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Tuesday, Oct. 27, through Sunday, Nov. 1.
Howard led the Magic to a 3-0 week, including two road wins, averaging 21.7 points, 16.0 rebounds and 2.3 blocks. The 6-11 center posted point-rebound double-doubles in all three of Orlando's games, including a 20-point, 22-rebound performance on Oct. 30 at New Jersey. Behind the league's leading rebounder, the Magic is off to a 3-0 start for the first time since 1993-94.
Anthony led the Nuggets to a 3-0 week, averaging a league-best 37.7 points on .536 shooting from the field and .429 shooting from distance, to go along with 7.0 rebounds and 4.3 assists. Anthony opened the season with a 30-point effort in a home win over Utah, and followed it up with back-to-back 40-point efforts in wins over the Trail Blazers and Grizzlies.
Here is a recap of the week for Howard and Anthony:
Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic
• Oct. 28 vs. Philadelphia: Recorded 21 points, 15 rebounds and two blocks in a 120-106 win over the 76ers.
• Oct. 30 @ New Jersey: Tallied 20 points, 22 rebounds and four blocks in a 95-85 win over the Nets.
• Nov. 1 @ Toronto: Scored 24 points to go along with 11 rebounds in a 125-116 win over the Raptors.
Carmelo Anthony, Denver Nuggets
• Oct. 28 vs. Utah: Tallied 30 points, eight rebounds and five assists in a 114-105 win over the Jazz.
• Oct. 29 @ Portland: Posted 41 points, six rebounds and three assists in a 97-94 Nuggets win over the Trail Blazers.
• Nov. 1 vs. Memphis: Scored 42 points to go along with seven rebounds and five assists in a 133-123 win over the Grizzlies.
Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Boston's Paul Pierce, Cleveland's LeBron James, Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, Houston's Trevor Ariza, Miami's Jermaine O'Neal and Dwyane Wade, Phoenix's Steve Nash, Portland's Brandon Roy and Toronto's Chris Bosh.
|GameTime: Michael Carter-Williams|
Draft prospect Michael Carter-Williams GameTime to discuss the upcoming draft and his pre-draft experience.
|GameTime: C.J. McCollum|
Draft prospect C.J. McCollum joins Matt Winer on GameTime to discuss the upcoming draft and his pre-draft experience.
|Hoop and Harm|
Mike Conley drives the lane, shakes and bakes for the hoop and the harm.
|GameTime: Dan Gilbert|
Cavaliers owner Dan Gilber joins GameTime to talk about his son and "good luck charm" Nick and winning the first pick in the draft.
|Parker to Splitter|
Tony Parker fakes the shot and dishes to Tiago Splitter for the tough layup.