By Official Release
Posted Jan 12 2009 3:22PM
NEW YORK -- The Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard and the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Monday, Jan. 5, through Sunday, Jan. 11.
|Players of the Week|
Howard led the Magic to a 4-0 week, including wins over Washington, San Antonio and Atlanta twice. Posting a double-double in all four contests, Howard topped the Magic in scoring twice and rebounding on three occasions. Howard's 13.8 rpg and 3.3 bpg both pace the league. The current leader in All-Star balloting, Howard seeks to become just the fourth player in NBA history to lead the NBA in both categories in the same season.
Bryant helped the Lakers to a 3-1 week, including wins over the Warriors, Pacers and Heat. Bryant, who tallied two 30-plus-point games on the week, led the Western Conference in scoring at 28.8 ppg. In the Lakers' 121-119 win over Indiana on Jan. 9, Bryant dished out a season-high 13 assists and added 36 points. The 30-6 (.883) Lakers own the NBA's best record.
Here is a recap of the week for Howard and Bryant:
Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic
• Jan. 6 vs. Washington: Tallied 15 points and 16 rebounds in an 89-80 win over the Wizards.
• Jan. 7 @ Atlanta: Scored 23 points and added 19 rebounds as the Magic topped the Hawks 106-102.
• Jan. 9 vs. Atlanta: Helped Orlando sweep a home-and-home with the Hawks by posting 16 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks.
• Jan. 11 @ San Antonio: Posted 24 points, 14 rebounds, three assists and two blocks in a 105-98 win over the Spurs.
Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
• Jan. 6 vs. New Orleans: Connected on 6-of-7 three-point field goal attempts en route to 39 points in a 116-105 loss to the Hornets.
• Jan. 7 @ Golden State: Tallied 21 points, five assists and five steals in a 114-106 win over the Warriors.
• Jan. 9 vs. Indiana: Poured in 36 points and added a season-high 13 assists as the Lakers topped the Pacers 121-119.
• Jan. 11 vs. Miami: Tallied 19 points and seven assists in a 108-105 win over the Heat.
Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Cleveland's LeBron James, Houston's Von Wafer, Miami's Dwyane Wade, New Jersey's Vince Carter, Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala and Andre Miller, Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge and Utah's Paul Millsap.
|Spurs vs. Clippers, Game 7|
Chris Paul scores 27, including the game-winner to lift the Clippers over the Spurs 111-109 in Game 7 of their first-round series.
|Top 10 Plays: First Round|
The best of the best from the first round of the playoffs are highlighted in the Top 10 plays.
|Top 10 Dunks: First Round|
Count down the Top 10 slams and jams from the first round of the playoffs.
|Top 10 Assists: First Round|
The Top 10 dishes and dimes from the first round of the playoffs.
|Top 10 Defensive Plays: First Round|
Count down the Top 10 defensive plays from the first round of the playoffs.