By Official Release
Posted Jan 12 2009 3:22PM
NEW YORK -- The Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard and the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Monday, Jan. 5, through Sunday, Jan. 11.
|Players of the Week|
Howard led the Magic to a 4-0 week, including wins over Washington, San Antonio and Atlanta twice. Posting a double-double in all four contests, Howard topped the Magic in scoring twice and rebounding on three occasions. Howard's 13.8 rpg and 3.3 bpg both pace the league. The current leader in All-Star balloting, Howard seeks to become just the fourth player in NBA history to lead the NBA in both categories in the same season.
Bryant helped the Lakers to a 3-1 week, including wins over the Warriors, Pacers and Heat. Bryant, who tallied two 30-plus-point games on the week, led the Western Conference in scoring at 28.8 ppg. In the Lakers' 121-119 win over Indiana on Jan. 9, Bryant dished out a season-high 13 assists and added 36 points. The 30-6 (.883) Lakers own the NBA's best record.
Here is a recap of the week for Howard and Bryant:
Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic
• Jan. 6 vs. Washington: Tallied 15 points and 16 rebounds in an 89-80 win over the Wizards.
• Jan. 7 @ Atlanta: Scored 23 points and added 19 rebounds as the Magic topped the Hawks 106-102.
• Jan. 9 vs. Atlanta: Helped Orlando sweep a home-and-home with the Hawks by posting 16 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks.
• Jan. 11 @ San Antonio: Posted 24 points, 14 rebounds, three assists and two blocks in a 105-98 win over the Spurs.
Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
• Jan. 6 vs. New Orleans: Connected on 6-of-7 three-point field goal attempts en route to 39 points in a 116-105 loss to the Hornets.
• Jan. 7 @ Golden State: Tallied 21 points, five assists and five steals in a 114-106 win over the Warriors.
• Jan. 9 vs. Indiana: Poured in 36 points and added a season-high 13 assists as the Lakers topped the Pacers 121-119.
• Jan. 11 vs. Miami: Tallied 19 points and seven assists in a 108-105 win over the Heat.
Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Cleveland's LeBron James, Houston's Von Wafer, Miami's Dwyane Wade, New Jersey's Vince Carter, Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala and Andre Miller, Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge and Utah's Paul Millsap.
|Stop and Pop|
Kyrie Irving brings the ball up the floor, stops on a dime and nails the 3-pointer.
|Postgame: Kyrie Irving|
Kyrie Irving talks with Matt Winer following USA Basketball's win over the Dominican Republic.
|Postgame: Krzyzewski, Irving|
Coach Mike Krzyzewski and Kyrie Irving talk to the media after Wednesday's impressive victory.
|Derrick Rose: Chicago Homecoming|
Chicago native Derrick Rose takes a trip back home as a member of the USA Basketball Men's National Team, and takes time out to prepare and share a meal with old friends at a local restaurant.
|On The Road With Chocolate Thunder, Episode 6: Ice Buckets|
NBA Nation Ambassador Darryl Dawkins takes you On The Road With Chocolate Thunder in Indianapolis as part of NBA Nation presented by Sprint! Visit nba.com/video for more highlights.