By Official Release
Posted Jan 5 2009 4:58PM
|Players of the Week|
NEW YORK -- The Detroit Pistons' Rodney Stuckey and the Minnesota Timberwolves' Al Jefferson today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Monday, Dec. 29, through Sunday, Jan. 4.
Stuckey guided the Pistons to a 4-0 week, leading the team in scoring in three of their four games. The second-year guard posted averages of 23.0 points, 5.3 assists and 4.5 rebounds, while helping the Pistons to a season-high seven game win streak. On Jan. 2 against Sacramento, Stuckey tied his career high in field goals made (15); he played a career-high 43 minutes in each of his last two games. The Pistons are 13-3 with Stuckey as a starter.
Jefferson led the Timberwolves to a 3-1 week, averaging 27.3 points and 12.3 rebounds on .524 shooting. On Dec. 29 against Memphis, Jefferson tallied a season-high 38 points and added 16 rebounds in Minnesota's 108-98 overtime win. Jefferson ranks eighth in the league in double-doubles with 18 and is one of only three players to average 20-plus points and 10-plus rebounds (Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan) with 22.8 ppg and 10.4 rpg.
Here is a recap of the week for Stuckey and Jefferson:
Rodney Stuckey, Detroit Pistons
• Dec. 29 vs. Orlando: Tallied 19 points, five rebounds and four assists in an 88-82 win over the Magic.
• Dec. 31 vs. New Jersey: Scored 11 points to go along with five rebounds and four assists in an 83-75 win over the Nets.
• Jan. 2 vs. Sacramento: Recorded 38 points, seven assists, four rebounds and two steals in a 98-92 win over the Kings.
• Jan. 4 @ LA Clippers: Finished with 24 points, six assists, four rebounds and two steals in an 88-87 win over the Clippers.
Al Jefferson, Minnesota Timberwolves
• Dec. 29 vs. Memphis: Tallied 38 points and 16 rebounds in a 108-98 overtime win over the Grizzlies.
• Dec. 30 @ Dallas: Finished with 21 points and nine rebounds in a 107-100 loss to the Mavericks.
• Jan. 2 vs. Golden State: Scored 32 points, to go with 10 rebounds in a 115-108 win over the Warriors.
• Jan. 3 @ Chicago: Recorded 18 points to go along with 14 rebounds in a 102-92 win over the Bulls.
Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Atlanta's Josh Smith, Boston's Paul Pierce, Charlotte's Boris Diaw, Cleveland's LeBron James, Dallas' Josh Howard, Denver's Nenê, Indiana's Jarrett Jack, the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant, Miami's Dwyane Wade, New York's Wilson Chandler, Phoenix's Shaquille O'Neal, San Antonio's Tony Parker and Washington's Antawn Jamison.
|Anderson Comes Alive|
Ryan Anderson spins in the lane drawing the and-1.
|Batum to Robinson|
Thomas Robinson brings down the 2-handed finish from Nicolas Batum.
|GameTime: Matt Bullard|
Rockets' broadcaster Matt Bullard joins GameTime to talk about the acquisition of Corey Brewer.
|GameTime: Derek Harper|
Mavericks' broadcaster Derek Harper joins GameTime to talk about the acquisition of Rajon Rondo and how he will fit in Dallas.
Anthony Davis draws the foul as he throws down the lob from Jrue Holiday.